Bead Extruder

The tube adapter allows us to extrude tubes in different sizes and shapes, so we can make bails and hinges. There is one drawback to the commercial tube adapters that are designed for metal clay. We can extrude tubes only up to a certain size, although some of our discs have bigger holes.

For example: Here is the biggest square available in out set.

However, it is impossible to extrude a bead of this size. Here is why: When you place the disc on top of the holes you can see the 4 round holes of the tube adapter.

If you try to extrude with this combination of a hole and adapter, what will come out of the extruder is 4 snakes rather than a big square bead.

In order to extrude one tube or bead, the holes of the adapter should be invisible.

This, of course, is a much smaller square, and it will make a very small bead.

My thought was that if an adapter could be made with holes that were closer to its perimeter, it might be possible to extrude a larger bead. I tried a few designs, and so far this one seems to work best.

I made it from a brass sheet. You can try to make it from bronze clay, but I am not sure that metal clay is strong enough to withstand the pressure of the extrusion. This one bent while extruding. Also, it shouldn’t be too thick (over 4 cards), since that will make it impossible to screw on the cap of the extruder.

This adapter works with a screw mandrel.


Here is the adapter upside down, with the mandrel sticking upwards. A thin rubber O-ring is placed on the adapter to create some space between the adapter and the disc and to allow the flow of clay.

Here is the disc with the bigger square hole, laid on the adapter.

The holes are invisible, and it does work. Now all we need is someone to manufacture it for us.

An O-ring or a separate metal tube with the same diameter as the disc, separating the disc from the adapter, works better than the current commercial design of the adapter. After extruding, it is much easier to clean up.

Note: Since this information has been passed on to more than 200 people by publishing it on this blog, it is now considered public domain.

Leave a Reply